Sarah’s Lemon Meringue Pie is so legendary that she had standing orders from family and friends to “bring the lemon pie” whenever visiting, attending a gathering, birthday party, reception, ceremony, pool party, cocktail party, sporting events, potluck or…! If you love lemon, this pie is truly amazing!
Cooks in about 20 minutes
Ready to eat in about 3 hours
Serves 1- 8 people
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. Butter
- 1 baked 9” pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° Combine ½ cup sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, boil 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice & butter.
- Spoon hot filling into pie crust.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in ⅓ cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff white peaks form.
- Spread Meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue has golden color. Cool on a wire rack for 30 min. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
Tip: The pie crust is VERY important! If the crust is not outstanding your pie will not get the response you desire.
DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE